IMPORTANCE OF GENDER SENSITISATION IN HIGHER EDUCATION
A Paper prepared to present in National seminar on “HIGHER EDUCATION –TODAY” to be conducted by Tejasvi Astitva Foundation, DELHI in collaboration with Visakha Government Degree college for women, Visakhapatnam on 23rd June 2019 at Visakha Government Degree college for women, Visakhapatnam
By- E.P.S.BHAGYA LAKSHMI &
Lecturers in Public administration
St.Ann’s degree college for women
Cell: 9441756045 &
Gender sensitization is the most important aspect of Higher education. Gender means- social and cultural expectation of society from male & female with reference to their behaviour , customs & traditions, attitudes and rights. There is a clear difference between sex & gender.
* Sex is biological, whereas gender is social and cultural.
* Sex cannot be changed but gender can be changed.
* Sex is universal but gender is different from one country to another country , one time to another time and one caste to another caste. In a simple way sex means male, female & transgender and Gender means social and cultural expectation from male, female & transgender. In that social and cultural expectation , there is lot a of discrimination. That discrimination is known as Gender discrimination. The injustice prevailed in Gender issues is known as GENDER INJUSTICE. Removal of that Gender Injustice is known as Gender justice. Gender sensitization means educating people on Gender issues. It is important to develop Human resources and improve the standard of living of people. It makes our Democracy successful. It creates wealth and remove poverty. It eradicates social evils.it establishes socialistic pattern of society. On the whole , Gender sensitization is necessary for the sustainable development of the country.
IMPORTANCE OF GENDER SENSITISATION IN HIGHER EDUCATION:
- Higher education consists of youth who are the future leaders of family, society & Nation. If they are properly sensitised on Gender issues, gender – just society will be established.
- Atrocities on women, sexual harassment & Domestic violence will be reduced if we concentrate on Gender sensitization in Higher education.
- If once men & women realise that they are equally capable, then the future of the country will be changed.
- Social evils like- sati, child marriages, dowry, no scope for widow re -marriages will be eradicated if students of higher education are sensitized on gender issues.
- The blind religious believes will go away and scientific temperament will occur in the society with the introduction of gender sensitization.
- With the knowledge of gender sensitization, The youth will realise that both men & women should share the domestic work & play equal role in public life.
- The gender sensitization inspires both men & women towards achieving self-sufficiency in life which is the pre- requisite of Democracy and freedom.
- The country will be prosperous because of the maximum utilization of human resources which can be achieved through gender sensitization.
- The youth will play an important role in achieving constitutional goals like justice, liberty, equality & fraternity with the inspiration of gender sensitization.
- Human life will be happy when both men & women share their feelings and care for each other. Gender sensitization will make that “share & care” concept a reality.
MAIN ASPECTS OF GENDER SENSITISATION
* Attitudes of society towards men & women’s roles
* Behaviours of men & women
* Dress code
* Career options
* Food habits
* Hereditary Rights
* customs & traditions
* Religious believes
* Health care
* Rest & leisure
* Brought up / Raring children
* Games & cultural programmes
* Public life
* Decision making
* Freedom of expression /choice etc….
METHODS OF GENDER SENSITISATION:
* Street plays
* Skit & dramas
* Short films
* Charts & posters
* Debates & discussions
* Essay wriing & elocution competitions
* Photo exhibitions
* Role plays
* Games & exercises
* Wall writings
* Banners & flip cards& slogan cards
* Seminars & workshops to different sections etc…..
Thus, GENDER SENSITISATION is the need of the hour. It makes higher education a powerful instrument of social change.