RECENT TRENDS AND TECHNIQUES IN RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
1. Dr.Annamsetti Eswaramma
Reader in Telugu
2. Sneha Latha Vavilapalli
Lexicon MILE – Pune
Research can be referred to as a systematic gathering of data and the analysis and advancement of the same for knowledge in that subject. Research tries to find out answers to rational and practical questions through the usage and application of systematic methods. It can be referred to as a deep study aimed at finding out and interpreting the facts, a further study on already accepted theories or practical application of existing theories. Research can be considered as a movement from the known to the unknown.
One word that can be accounted with the whole process of research is ‘discovery’. More or less every research takes place out of curiosity. A curiosity to find out something, to establish a new theory or to further study an existing theory which man employs for obtaining the knowledge of whatever the unknown can be termed as research.
Objectives of research: The prime interest of research lies in finding out the answers to questions through the application of scientific procedures. The main aim of research is to find out something that has not been found yet. Even though each research has its own aim, we can somehow establish that more or less all the researches share the same set of objectives.
– To gain another perspective with a phenomenon or to find out new insights (exploratory or formulative research studies);
– To identify facts about a particular situation, theory or group (descriptive research studies);
– To find out the correlation between two or more different events or ideas (diagnostic research studies);
– To test a hypothesis holding a relationship between two variables (hypothesis-testing research studies).
Emerging trends in research methodology:
1. Digital qualitative methods: It refers to the usage of online and other digital platforms for research purposes. It is relatively easier and feasible to find out participants through social media like whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram etc. We can find a large number of sample group within a short period of time. Certain metrics that are available also helps us to observe the participant behavior. Devices such as desktops, smart phones, tablets can be used which facilitate access to research at convenient times and locations.
Sampling used in an online research is convenience sampling, as it is little complicated to randomly sample from the whole population.
2. Usage of latest digital tools: Word Cloud Analysis, Google Trends, Sentiment Analysis, SPSS package, Tableau etc., are some of the very effective digital tools with a user friendly interface. We can do complicated analysis of the data in a very easy way by using these tools.
3. Complexity theory: Complexity theory has its starting point in the organic and physical sciences, where it applies to phenomena that are more than the total of their parts—where the “higher order” structure can’t be made by simply assembling the pieces that it is produced using. Complexity theory has moved to sociology, and to instruction, on the grounds that numerous social phenomena additionally appear to have this property. These phenomena are named “complex systems.” Complexity theory is likewise a theory of learning and change, so it is worried about how complex systems are learning and evolving. This implies techniques to examine complex systems must have the option to distinguish changes in the framework, named “emergence,” and should likewise represent change after some time and the historical backdrop of the complex framework. Longitudinal structures that include the assortment of rich information from numerous sources can bolster comprehension of how a complex framework, for example, instructor training, is learning and evolving. Comparative analysis, narrative analysis, broadened contextual analyses, mapping of networks and associations, and professional examination considers have all been utilized to attempt to carry complexity theory to empirical work.
4.Design based research: A research worldview that includes a repeating procedure of distinguishing an issue or question, testing mediation, gathering information, examining information, and refining the intercession. It is a training focused research approach that expects to yield hypothetical information and optimal suggestions. Is a functional research procedure to explore the structure and assessment of a critical intercession or practice in genuine instructive settings utilizing blended techniques for information assortment and including different emphases. Research that centers around issues of training recognized cooperatively with specialists and researchers. The objective of configuration-based methodologies is to address issues of training just as create theory that can be applied all the more extensively for methodical improvement. Research strategies by which mediations are planned and applied in emphases in true settings so as to all the more likely decide theory and produce new thoughts and procedures for learning and guidance. A blended approach that includes cycles of plan and execution to structure instructive developments
5. Theory correlation: Hypothesis is a proper inquiry that a Researcher expects to determine. Wanted qualities of Hypothesis are likewise notable in the scholastic space. Logical Theories exist on each conceivable subject. A Research Design is probably going to be increasingly viable on the off chance that we strengthen it with existing demonstrated theory regarding the matter. A researcher may recognize a specific theory or gathering of speculations, most intently applicable to the Research Topic and build up it as the establishing rationale for his own Research Design. The chose theory might be backed or discussed; it relies upon the specific situation. To take it a level higher, extraordinary researchers in history have contributed hypotheses that so well clarify each marvel we involvement with our day-by-day lives.
The motivation behind academic research isn’t simply to push the limits of information, however to break liberated from constraining individual convictions about the manner in which things ought to be. Sense is helpful, however the universe is more intriguing than we can envision or extrapolate from individual experience. The most significant outcomes are those that—from the outset—show up wrong; the outlandish, the befuddling, the strange and the superb impacts nature uncovers. To demonstrate as a rule intends to demonstrate something to be valid, however it can likewise mean to test. The point of research ought to never be to demonstrate your hypothesis in the feeling of demonstrating your plans to be valid, yet to test them with thoroughness and permit yourself to be guided genuinely by the information.